Autism is an acute behavioural disorder that is often regarded as a chronic mental disorder. This, however, is not true. The behaviour and mental status of each autistic child are different and require appropriate treatment options so that they can cope with the situation and obtain easy recovery. The parents of the autistic children face many inconveniences and want their child to behave, act and react like a normal child.
The role of parents is quite crucial in the entire autism treatment process. The symptoms and behaviour of the child are clearly explained so that the experts might take necessary steps. The basic terminology of the treatment remains the same. However, certain changes have to be made by the doctors to suit the existing condition of the particular child.
Different Autism Treatment Types one should Keenly Know
The autism cases have greatly increased these days that greatly affect the child’s psychology. Their inability to act and respond rapidly makes them bit different from other normal children. The autism treatment is classified into the following types.
- Communication and Behavioural Treatment: ABA or Applied Behavioural Analysis is often carried out in the schools and even clinics so that the child might look for positive behavioural options and reduce the negative ones. This significantly enhances the skills of the child and also helps them to grab the things easily. As the name suggests, different techniques are used so that communication and behavioural skills of the child are improved.
- Pharmaceutical Management: once the behavioural sessions are over or in combination with it, pharmaceutical management is also the type of an autism treatment. The knowledgeable psychiatrists provide appropriate medication to the child as per their prevailing conditions. This works ideal with the ABA treatment and help in improving the condition of the child in a far better manner.
- Occupational Therapies: occupational therapies are a bit flexible in nature and help in enhancing the social skills of the child. The biggest symptom of an autistic child is less social intervention. The psychiatrists work on improving the child’s mental status so that they can interact easily without any fear or ill will with other children. It even includes fun filled therapies that help them to recover fast in an enjoyable manner.
- Educational Facilities for an Autistic Child: in this autism treatment type, the psychiatrists use pictorial form to make aware of different elements around the child. The pictures can either be in the form of charts or cards that convey some positive lessons. The moment the child is able to grab each and every type, they know about their surroundings similar to the other children.
Role of Parents and Society in an Autism Treatment
It is pretty sad to know that many parents leave their autistic children to the mental asylum just because they are different from other children. This is one of the curses that parents are giving to their children. Every child has their own skills, priorities and levels of thinking that makes them different.
- In any autism treatment session, the doctors highly suggest the parents be friendly rather than being rude to the child.
- The Mental status of each child is not same and thus, symptoms can vary. Thus, it is important to understand what the child likes and how they learn well.
- They should be treated equally like other children. This helps them to cope with their mental changes without feeling distinct in the group.
- Don’t think that your child is the only one who is distinct from others. Understand your child’s potentiality and prefer particular treatment options for them. Your care and guidance would bring boon in the entire treatment session.