A key factor in hotel success is the right property management system (PMS). A seamless guest experience will be created by having a system that makes front desk workflows simple. The need to work as effectively as possible to streamline activities is recognized by more accommodation companies. It can help you manage your property from anywhere at any time by working with a cloud-based PMS platform where constant updates are made. PMS capabilities have expanded to include all areas of hotel operations, beyond core functions such as room inventory, reservations, housekeeping and assigning guests to rooms. Integration with third-party technologies, including channel executives, point-of-sale systems, payment gateways and accounting systems, is so much easier. There’s no time like the present to upgrade your PMS with the abundance of new technology in the property management systems industry.
Definition and Purpose of Hotel Property Management Systems
Applications for the running of accommodation businesses are property management systems (PMS). A unified computer system enables the day-to-day operations and transactions in hospitality accommodation and residential and commercial rental properties to be coordinated, planned and carried out. It helps property owners, managers, and real estate professionals monitor property ads, payment processing, maintenance of property, and more.
Often the terms are used interchangeably, but we agree that management systems for hotel property should be differentiated from other applications for property management. Both PMS systems, but of different kinds, help handle lodgings. For example, to administer schools, sports and athletic facilities, community gardens and parks, even local councils may use PMS. PMS solutions for hotels cater primarily to hotel owners and operators, motels, hostels, resorts, and the like. Hotel PMS end-customers are also different from rental tenants and have different requirements that should be met by the app.
A hotel PMS has historically been regarded as a software that helps hotel companies to maximise their front-office capabilities by replacing time-consuming, paper and spreadsheet-heavy processes. Such PMS solutions have helped with tasks such as booking, guest check-in/check-out, space allocation, monitoring of room prices, and billing. A lot of hardware that was operated on-site was also needed. The focus remains the automation of traditional front-office and administrative activities. The essential modules of reservation, front-desk operations, and housekeeping include all hotel PMS. In addition, modern hotel PMS solutions offer a variety of features that enable the delivery of perfectly tailored guest experiences.
Features of Hotel PMS Systems
In a single piece of software, a modern PMS incorporates several work environments. The combination of modules in a system and features inside a module can differ depending on the software provider. However, at a minimum, the following tasks should be handled by robust hotel operating software:
- Operations at Front-desk: This module allows guests to be checked in and out, key cards issued, room allocation monitored, room-related requests handled, payments processed and guest receipts issued, night and shift audits carried out, and more in one safe system. Up-to-date information on both existing and future reservations can be obtained by front-office employees. The system should also make adjusting bookings, e.g. changing a room or date, reasonably simple. The changes should take place immediately and be mirrored by other modules.
- Reservation Management: For the website booking engine and other distribution networks, the reservation service containing all inventory information and dates should be incorporated. The existing and upcoming hotel management reservations are shown on easy and user-friendly dashboards. They can check the availability and status of rooms, keep track of bookings and visitors, and transfer them around as appropriate. The booking features should make it easy to handle room reservations, discounts, inventory and allocation of space, and accept online payments. A easy and intuitive user interface enables travellers to quickly book rooms, obtain confirmation by email, securely pay for their space, and easily self-check-in. Reservations for large groups, gatherings, incentives, conferences, and exhibits, activity booking, and incorporating hotel amenity packages should be permitted by a good hotel PMS. Ideally, mobile bookings should also be sponsored. A central reservation system or booking portal may be part of, or may be introduced independently from the hotel PMS. The PMS should be able to integrate with the current reservation system in the latter case.
- Housekeeping & maintenance management: Housekeeping features include room status management, room cleaning activities, and recording the tasks of housekeepers. The module automates the duties of management and links the front office to housekeeping workers. The programme can classify rooms for the next incoming guest that need to be cleaned or packed, and delegate tasks to the responsible employees. A front-office manager is able to monitor each room’s status and coordinate maintenance reports. Cloud-based hotel PMS helps housekeepers, once it is finished, to check the status of their tasks or rooms on their smartphone or tablet. The workers should also submit images of any problems so that they can be easily evaluated and repaired by the maintenance department. A maintenance management system helps to schedule and coordinate maintenance activities, maintain a record of hotel disruptions and repairs, organise maintenance reports, and track and update maintenance requests.
- Reporting and analytics: For hotel business growth, thorough and timely reporting is crucial. Hotel PMS systems can produce different types of automatic reports depending on the software: night audit, shift audit, room and tax reports, departure/arrival, housekeeping, or other continuous reporting. The module makes it easier to keep track of sales, reservations, and inventory and offers useful insights through regular reports, occupancy rate, into hotel efficiency. The correct hotel PMS also lets you comply with the standards and regulations for local tax reporting.
- Customer data and customer relationships management: Before, during, and after their stay, hotels should be able to keep in contact with clients. Guest contact information and other data from these sources is gathered and organised by a CRM integrated with the front-desk and reservation systems. For more customised guest experiences, a database of guest details may help hoteliers build marketing campaigns and membership and loyalty programmes. A robust feedback management function that gathers guest feedback is also supported by hotel PMS systems. The data can be used on the hotel’s website, mobile apps and travel booking pages, or surveys. The hotel PMS can integrate with it if a hotel or resort chain has its own CRM system.
Hotel Property Management Services Advantages:
- The hotel property management service will provide your guests with enhanced check-in and check-out capabilities at any time, anywhere using the cloud-based hotel PMS of their smartphone. You will free up and use the front-desk staff to provide guest services.
- By having instant smartphone alerts when guest check-out and rooms are free for cleaning, you can boost your housekeeping quality.
- Increase the occupancy of your room by real-time control of room availability through distribution channels.
- Via direct booking, you can maximise your revenue.
- Your customer data can be centralised and secured. Understand the purchasing habits of buyers.
- Enhanced capabilities for check-in/check-out: Mobile-enabled cloud hotel PMS allows the front-desk staff of a hotel to check guests in and out, allocate space and allow guest facilities from anywhere at any time.
- Increased productivity in housekeeping: Hotel PMS housekeeping and maintenance features help properties of any scale run without a hitch. In real time the programme will warn housekeeping employees of an early arrival guest whose room must be prepared or notify the employees when visitors check out. It helps to more efficiently define and handle room maintenance needs. Room management, encouraging quicker check-ins and outstanding guest experience, is becoming more versatile.
- Integrated hotel back-office systems: Hotel PMS’ back-office feature enables monitoring and detailed reporting, automates manual processes, decreases costs and reduces human errors in back-office operations. From one central location, multiple activities that were previously performed by various systems can be carried out. The management should have it all in one location where it is not going to be lost. Employees in all divisions and various property locations can view, update, and monitor all relevant information. In addition, they can do it from any position and cooperate more efficiently.
- Improved Control of Sales: Operations and financial processes are connected by hotel property management software. It utilises pre-built integrations for receivable accounts payable accounts, payment gateways, point-of-sale systems, and processors of payment. Analytics, monitoring, and competitive intelligence help strengthen the business activities of the hotel.
- Better Data Protection for Customers: All customer data is consolidated and safely stored by Hotel PMS, helping to shape rich guest profiles and ensure compliance with relevant regulations for consumer data security. The understanding of purchasing trends for consumers helps hotel companies to create more tailored packages and services.