The term organic is however quite popular nowadays, but if you don’t know it yet, let us tell you that organic is all about pesticide-free and chemical-free food free from synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or other chemical treatments and will help you lead a longer and healthier life.
Let’s dig deeper into the details to understand why organic meals should be a part of your healthy balanced diet.
The Wave of Organic Food in India:
The demand for organic food has been increasing globally, and India is no exception. There are several reasons for the growing popularity of organic food in India. Here are some of the many reasons:
- Consumers are becoming readily health-conscious and are willing to pay a premium for food that is fresh, seasonal, pure, and healthy
- Growing awareness of the environmental impact of conventional agriculture, which relies heavily on chemical inputs.
- People wants to give back to society by supporting local farmers thus the local community as a whole.
- The Indian government has also taken steps to promote organic farming in the country by launching the Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) scheme to encourage organic farming among small and marginal farmers. Under this scheme, farmers are provided with financial assistance and technical guidance to adopt organic farming practices.
The organic food industry in India includes a range of products, including fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses, dairy products, and processed foods. With growing demand from consumers, government support, and increased awareness, the organic industry is surely booming.
What Are The Benefits of Consuming Organic Food?
In the post-pandemic era, people have become really concerned not just about what they eat, but what goes inside the food they eat. Due to this reason, there has been a rapid surge in the organic food industry. People are investing in healthy and clean food which helps to maintain their health in the long run, which is of course the basic fundamental to live a fit and disease-free life.
Let’s take a quick look to understand the immense benefits of consuming organic food over conventional food.
- Organic farming cuts down on soil pollution and water contamination because there is no addition of soil pollution and water contamination
- The natural growth process of the organic produce makes it tastes better than produce grown conventionally
- Organic food has more nutritional value. For e.g. – As per a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, organic onions have about 20% higher antioxidant content than non-organic onions.
- The organically grown produce is a great source of iron, magnesium, vitamin C, and other important nutrients required for bodily functions
- By buying organic produce, you encourage others you uplift local farmers, community, and environment as a whole
What Are The Challenges To Organic Industry?
There are some challenges that this rapidly growing is currently facing and if we learn to overcome this, there is no stopping back. Have a look below:
- There are many consumers who are unaware or don’t understand the many benefits of eating organic food
- There is a confusion in the market because many products in the market are labelled as Natural or Chemical-free which doesn’t ensure if they are organically certified or not. As a consumer, you need to invest in the food which has organic certified label to ensure the products are manufactured while adhering to organic agriculture standards throughout processing, production, packaging, and marketing.
- Organic food is still not easily accessible in many parts of India
- The high cost of the organic food also comes as a challenge. As a result, many people refrain from buying organic food. Therefore, the organic industry needs to provide organic food at a pocket-friendly price so that everyone can assum
The organic trend is only set to accelerate and grow in the future, making it a crucial sector. Although you are always open to using your best judgment before adding food items to your cart, picking the products with a certified organic label is certainly a safer and better choice. This is because an organic certification ensures that products are manufactured while adhering to organic agriculture standards throughout processing, production, packaging, and marketing. It ensures that the product is grown without any chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or hormones.