Men and women produce both produce male and female hormones- testosterone and estrogen. However, there is a continuous balance between the two. Due to some natural factors or unhealthy habits, the hormonal balance can get disrupted, resulting in over production of estrogen or underproduction of testosterone. Know about these factors that are mentioned below-
5 Causes of Gynecomastia
● Taking particular drugs-
There are particular drugs that restrict the production of testosterone. Hence, there is a disbalance between the male and female hormones in the male body. Apart from this set of drugs, there are some medicines taken to cure underlying health conditions that cause gynecomastia as a side effect. Here is a list of common medications that can increase the likelihood of gynecomastia.
1.Spironolactone is a diuretic that has the potential to lower androgenic activity
2.ACE inhibitors such as Captopril and Enalapril used for hypertension
3.Calcium channel blockers such as nifedipine and other like drugs that doctors prescribe for hypertension
4.Consuming some antibiotics such as isoniazid or ketoconazole
5.Drugs that can cure HIV diseases or Highly active anti-retroviral therapy that result in fat deposition on the chest
6.Anti-ulcer drugs such as ranitidine, cimetidine and omeprazole
7.Therapies for prostate cancer
8.Drugs such as methyldopa or digitoxin or diazepam
● Suffering from health conditions-
If a person suffers from any one of the following medical problems, they are more susceptible to developing gynecomastia.
1.Malnutrition- Not getting enough nutrition or trying to make up for the required nutrition is also a contributing factor for gynecomastia.
2.Cirrhosis or liver ailments- The medicines taken to curb the symptoms of liver ailments or cirrhosis can cause gynecomastia as a side effect.
3.Disorders of the male sex organs- Any disorder in the testes can lower the production of male hormones or encourage estrogen production. These disorders can be genetic such as Klinefelter’s syndrome or acquired due to trauma, low blood flow or trauma to the testes. Another possible cause of gynecomastia could be testicular cancer.
4.Chronic renal failure- During dialysis for kidney failure, there are some hormonal changes that can lead to puffiness of the nipples.
5.Hyperthyroidism- People suffering from hyperthyroidism in which thyroid glands produce thyroid in excess amounts.
6.Hypogonadism- The pituitary gland in the brain is unable to stimulate the testes to produce enough testosterone.
● Hormonal changes at particular ages-
In infants, the gynecomastia occurs due to the estrogen transferred from the mother. It is common for newborns to have breast buds. Within 6 months of age, these breast buds subside on its own. The breast buds again develop in boys reaching their puberty. These again last for 2 years as the body undergoes hormonal changes. Gynecomastia develops in teen boys from early puberty to middle puberty. There’s nothing to worry about as these subside within 6 months to 2 years.
● Drug abuse and excessive alcohol consumption-
The effects of drug abuse and excessive alcohol consumption can also be felt for gynecomastia too. These increase the chances of gynecomastia as the body is unable to synthesize enough amounts of male hormones. Drug abuse includes taking heroin, Methadone, amphetamines and even smoking weeds.
● Consuming herbal products-
Using products such as shampoo, conditions or soaps that contain lavender oil or tea tree oil can increase the risk of gynecomastia. Therefore, make sure the content of these oil in toiletries before purchasing.
Symptoms of Gynecomastia
In a way, gynecomastia is itself a symptom. The enlargement of male breasts is gynecomastia. In addition to swelling and puffiness around the nipples, gynecomastia patients generally experience the following symptoms-
● Formation of firm, rubbery tissue around the nipples
● The diameter of the areola increases
● The breasts become swollen and tender
● Chest diameter becomes uneven
● All the above symptoms in both the breasts
In case you experience a mix of the above symptoms, consult with a gynecomastia surgeon in Delhi. A particular diagnosis of gynecomastia includes a physical examination followed by some diagnostic tests. The doctor asks about the patient’s medical history that comprises questions related to drug use and family history.
After prognosis of the symptoms, the doctor recommends blood tests and imaging tests such as breast ultrasound, Chest X-rays, MRI scans or ultrasound of the testes. Sometimes they can recommend a biopsy of chest tissue to rule out the possibility of breast cancer.
Once the diagnosis is complete, the surgeon recommends a treatment option to reduce the enlargement of breasts.
Treating Gynecomastia Without Surgery
Let’s have a quick insight into the possible non-surgical treatment options for gynecomastia-
● Exercises for flat chest- Exercising regularly can reduce the swelling and enlargement of breasts considerably. Pushups, presses, cable flys, splints are common exercises that tighten the chest and pectoral muscles. Focus on some cardio exercises such as walking, jogging, swimming, taking stairs daily for at least 15 minutes.
● Foods that can cure gynecomastia- Include cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, bok choy, kale, brussels sprouts, greens in your daily diet as this helps to metabolize estrogen. Also, eat bread made from whole grains. In addition to this, take flax seeds on a daily basis. Furthermore, drink green tea to cut down fat easily.
● Herbs for gynecomastia- Herbal medicines such as fish oil, passionflower, ginger root, milk thistle, zinc, dandelion are very effective to treat gynecomastia.
Safe Gynecomastia Treatment in Delhi
The above remedies can cure gynecomastia but only on a temporary basis. Also, patients often complain about severe side effects after taking herbal supplements. Furthermore, it may take some time to fully experience its results. By then, the problem may become absolutely severe.
Its the patient’s will to choose for the treatment option. However, doctors recommend suggest undergoing gynecomastia surgery. Gynecomastia surgery occurs mainly in two steps-
● Liposuction- Commonly known as lipo, lipoplasty, or body contouring, this is the procedure that removes extra and stubborn fat surgically. It is a daycare procedure with minimum cuts and incisions. The doctor can remove fat from thighs, hips, abdomen, neck, arms and abdomen.
● Gland excision surgery- The next step is gland excision surgery in which the doctors remove extra glandular breast tissue from under the nipples and around it.
Both these procedures are performed under the influence of anesthesia and ensure a fast recovery. But these need to be performed by doctors who can ensure maximum results as well as minimal visible scarring. Supposedly, Pristyn Care doctors in Delhi perform gynecomastia surgeries that are 100% successful and ensure minimal risk of any infection. The clinics are equipped with the latest equipment too. Hence, in case you are looking for gynecomastia treatment in Delhi, visit the nearest Pristyn Care clinic for proper consultation.