The ability of the software to process information depends on the data. Data annotation service is one of the most crucial processes for ensuring data quality and usability. Despite the importance of data annotation, many professionals view it as a tedious, routine task, preferring to concentrate on AI’s design and architecture features.
Given the importance of data to AI projects, annotations performed with the cheapest vendors are not enough. A company’s suitability to new industry standards, its experience, and the security of its solutions are the most important things to keep in mind when choosing an annotation supplier for your projects. Thus, here we shall focus on the risk factors and the need for proper security means.
SECURITY RISK TYPES
Generally protected or private data is involved in data annotation. And further such disclosure of sensitive data that are personally identifiable data, trade secrets, and classified information can result in legal or reputational risks for individuals, projects, and even entire companies or organizations. Staff members, their tools, and they are the most common sources of security risks. Unsecured workplaces may allow third parties to peek at confidential information; unsecured internet connections may expose data during transmission; and poorly trained employees may not understand security protocols, to name a few possibilities. In the context of the present study, the dealer who handles your data must be aware of such security needs by the following processes:
- Organization’s Teams: Employees who annotate data must pass a background check, sign a confidentiality agreement, and receive proper training for the job. It’s important to select a vendor who processes the data in-house instead of using crowd-sourced teams.
- System hardware and software: Apart from standard anti-malware software, the firm technology should be protected against vulnerabilities, such as vulnerability scanning systems, and have excellent network security. Hardware security should always be in place. Firewalls, routers, digital keys, and switches can be helpful. It’s important to conduct penetration tests periodically to ensure hacking risks.
- The workshops and equipment accession: Access control is critical in the physical workplace, and people who work must use data in a secure building where it cannot be viewed or retrieved by unauthorized personnel, whether intentional or accidental. Centralized storage of data with limited access is essential to avoid misuse of data.
TIPS FOR SECURING OUTSOURCING OF DATA
When it comes to outsourcing, here are some suggestions for keeping your data safe. It can be challenging to find a data annotation company who meets all your security needs. A few security assurances and leak-proof outsourcing tips are given below:
- Find a match: When hiring data annotation services, it is mandatory to ensure that the company you choose is accustomed to your practices or offers services that fit your project.
- Choose quality over price: While it may be tempting to use the cheapest remote worker, many companies are aware of the potential drawbacks of this method in terms of quality, error rate, and possible sensitivity to data from a business and research perspective. Choosing a niche company as your solution gives you the added value of trust and reliability.
- Know more through questions: As we have discussed the common risk areas where security breaches can arise, you can ask a few questions to ensure the best data annotation services.
● What security certifications do the seller hold?
● What security measures does your workplace have?
● Who has access to the workplace during the annotation of data?
● How trained are data annotation professionals?
- Multiple classification levels for data: Enforcing classifications such as “Public” or “Sensitive” or “Confidential” over time improves the security of your data and eliminates the risk of improper access within the company. – If a staff has limited access, they will only be able to use the information they work with directly.
- Sign a confidentiality agreement: Additionally, both parties must sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to protect what is considered confidential.
Although data annotation demands a huge workforce and time, it is vital to select the right outsourcing partner. The attributes of a good vendor should include quality, delivery, and most importantly data security. So, ensure that all annotations are carried out correctly from the start. Dealers must be aware of the importance of security from the start, rely on established trust with customers, and assure that their policies comply with the country’s laws.
Author Bio details:
Name: Infosearch BPO
Description: Infosearch BPO is a Global Business Outsourcing Company that specializes in various Annotation support services, Data Management, BPO & Call Centre Services. We are a 16+ years old company with huge experience in a variety of projects. This ISO Certified Company performs all projects with trained in-house employees. We provide 24×7 support with World Class Infrastructure.