Nature has a strange way of working. What is a necessity for our live can also create havoc in it. Water is a necessity for all living things. However when there is a natural disaster like tornadoes, floods and tsunamis the same water becomes a threat to life and property, destructing everything in its path.
One of the things that are commonly damaged by water is our homes. Carpeted homes are damaged even more because the carpet tends to soak up the water. If not cleared, the carpet could become a breeding ground for all sorts of germs and moulds. Here we will look at a few ways on how you can deal with a water damaged carpet in Melbourne.
WHAT TO DO TO AVOID CARPET DAMAGE
- At the first instance you should ensure that there is no risk of further damage by water. In the event that the damage has been caused by household leaks then the source of the damage should be addressed.
- It’s best to use a vacuum cleaner to clear up the water. Vacuum cleaners are easily available for rent from companies that deal with fire and water damage restoration.
- Use fans to dry your carpet out. They need to be left on 24 hours a day and for at least a week to ensure that the carpet has completely dried out.
- Dehumidifiers should also be used to remove excess moisture. This will help in making the air cooler and will hinder mould and mildew growth.
- Another very effective way of dealing with wet carpets is to get them steam cleaned. Steam cleaning will sanitize and deodorize your carpet fully. You may have to have a new carpet padding installed, which is cheaper than getting the whole carpet replaced.
- Everything that has been damaged by water needs to be sanitized. All the walls should be cleaned as well as the flooring and hard surfaces. You can do this by using soap and water. Sanitization should be done with chlorine, adding 1.5 cups of chlorine to 1 gallon of water.
- Thoroughly check your house. All furniture needs to be removed from the wet carpet areas. There is always a risk of hidden water damage beneath rugs and carpets so it is important that you explore the whole house with a fine tooth comb.
Cleaning water soaked carpets and rug is a mission on its own and takes a lot of time and perseverance to complete it. Sometimes it is best to leave this sort of jobs to professionals like Capital Facility Services. They are experts in the field of dealing with water damaged carpets in Melbourne and will be able to do the job quickly and efficiently.
Sometimes it may be that your carpet is beyond repair. They will be able to advise you accordingly thus saving you valuable time and effort. For more details about our carpet cleaning services you can visit us online at Capital Facility Services.