Whether one is married or not, there is one thing that the law never compromises with, how a child is taken care of. This becomes a major issue when both parents decide to separate or divorce. Issues to do with child custody, support, or visitation are set clearly by the law. The best thing would be for the couple to come into an agreement because a custody battle is not an ultimate idea. This can spare both parties emotional stress associated with a custody battle. If you want to win child custody, you have to be familiar with child custody laws. It worth noting that a custody battle may not involve parents only; grandparents might also be fighting for child custody. Nevertheless, their legal process is just the same.
Winning A Child Custody
If you want to win child custody, then you have to know how to present yourself as the best parent in court. Doing this in a constructive manner may be challenging, not unless you find family law lawyer in Chula Vista who will help you to prepare to show yourself as the better parent. Getting your kid’s best interest ahead is one of the essential ways to give your child a healthy future and a sense of well-being. This is because kids are very delicate. Winning child custody means that you’re satisfied with the custody arrangements that will be agreed by both of you. Before you start up the process, you need to have a plan with the other parent. Both of you can have an agreement on the best way to have child custody with the best interest of the kid in your mind. This will help both of you have more successful child custody. Besides, it will help you avoid costly legal proceedings. You may decide to write down the issues or concerns affecting your kid and listen to each other concerns. During the meetings, try as much as possible to set aside any conflicts among you. If you can’t reach a new agreement on the issues related to child custody, you will have to submit the dispute for court proceedings. However, there are common factors that may make you win. They include:
- Take time to learn family law: If you know how the child custody cases are carried out, you will have an easier time knowing what to do. You also need to understand how the judge decides custody. Though child custody cases are different, the judge will always consider what is best for your child.
- Ensure to show the enthusiasm to work towards the best interest of your child: You need to show the court that indeed you are willing to work together to ensure your kid’s life is not affected.
- Have a conducive living environment: This is a big concern to the family court. Though finances most of the time dictate a new arrangement, you should try to have a home where the court can deem fit for the living of your children. For instance, you can’t have a small studio apartment with four kids and expect the court to rule out the case in your favor.
- Spending more time with your children: The court is keen on this, if you decide to leave your home while the divorce is underway, you may lose the chance to have your child custody. You are expected to spend more time with your children. For instance, you can take them to school and pick them up. Again, don’t reschedule time for your kids. A repeated reschedule may send negative signals to the court. The more flexibility you may show, the better the chance of winning the child custody case.
- Don’t talk negatively about your spouse when you’re with your kids: Every time you’re with your kids, ensure to guard your tongue. Keep any feelings towards your spouse to yourself. Again, don’t involve them in the court case but help them deal with the divorce effects
- Ensure to follow all the court rules: This is the time to show you are committed to the course. If the court requires you to take any classes, do so immediately. This can be used to demonstrate your willingness to be with your kid/kids.
Hire A Family Lawyer
If you are thinking about child custody, don’t fight the custody battle alone. There are so many experienced family lawyers out there. You can get a good lawyer through referral or by contacting your local bar association. The lawyer will have an initial consultation to understand your case. He/she will help you gather the needful evidence that will make you win. The main thing is to show the judge that indeed you are a good parent that has established a good relationship with your child. Talk to your lawyer on what you need to prove and wait for the success of your case.